A Heathen, I Asked

7 comments
A Story, Listening When He Speaks, Poetry

In the elementary lunch line I overheard friends who said:

No meat, please. No, I cannot have the chili.

And yet another:

No, no, sweets, please. My family said decline the cinnamon roll.

One more:

The cheese? Oh, how I want it, but I cannot touch it, nor eat it. Keep it!

A heathen, I asked:

Why all these changes in your diets today?

Together they said:

It’s what we’re supposed to do.

It’s a denial that our parents expect.

It’s the way it’s always been.

Hey, are you really gonna eat that burger?

In the high school hallway I overheard friends who said:

It doesn’t matter what I did Friday night.

And yet another:

Right, right, right. The curfew I broke, the cig I smoked, it’ll be nothing.

One more:

The many beers I swigged? Oh, the fun as I danced with him.

A heathen, I asked:

Why all this lack of concern for your weekend partying?

Together they said:

It’s what we can do.

It’s what our parents expect.

It’s the way it’s always been.

Hey, are you coming to the boondocks Friday night?

In the gymnasium I overheard friends who said:

Yep, my slate was wiped clean by the priest.

Indeed, my carousing was wiped clean by the priest.

Yes, Yes, Yes, last week’s disobedience was wiped clean by the priest.

A heathen, I asked:

Why all this man-given cleanliness for your immoral sins?

Together they said:

It’s what we can do.

It’s what our parents expect.

It’s the way it’s always been.

Hey, are you interested in learning our religious rules?

In a small café I overheard collegiate strangers who said:

I am quite a sinner, but now He’s set me free!

I know, I know, He forgave even a sorry wretch like me!

Indeed! Indeed! His mercy and love has overwhelmed me!

A heathen, I asked:

Why all this complimentary chatter about someone named He?

sliced-bread-sd-682x1024Together they said:

It’s what we can do, when we’re set free in Christ.

It’s what our Father God expects when we believe on Him.

It’s the way you live your life when you join the good Lord’s family.

Hey, do you wanna sit with us, share a meal, and break some bread?

A heathen, I joined them.

A sister, I became.

* Sourced online from about.com

LENT is a 40-day period of preparation for Easter Sunday and one of the major liturgical seasons of the Catholic Church. A penitential season marked by prayer, fasting and abstinence, and almsgiving, Lent begins on either Ash Wednesday (for Latin Rite Catholics and those Protestants who observe Lent) or Clean Monday(for Eastern Rite Catholics and Eastern Orthodox) and ends on either Holy Thursday or Holy Saturday.

* Sourced from the Holy Bible (NKJV)

Regarding SIN: “For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh.” (Romans 8:3)

Regarding SALVATION: “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.” (John 3:16)

_________________________________________________________
This morning as I thought of Lent, these few school-time scenes came
to mind. And heart. So, if someone asks me what I’m giving
up this season, I shall say, “Nothing. In fact,
I’m holding on – tighter than ever.”
God bless you in all you do
& in whatever ways you
Advertisements

7 thoughts on “A Heathen, I Asked”

1. “It’s the way you live your life when you join the good Lord’s family.”

Indeedy.

🙂

2. Floyd says:

The thoughts of common sense put in your young mind by our Father. And the path made clear by Him. Sounds a lot like my wife’s religious background. Funny how Truth shines Light on man… Awesome testimony.

If you have somethin' to say, I reckon this is where you should do it. (If you're a newbie hereabouts, your first comment will be held for approval - cuts down on spam.) Thank ye for chatting!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s